HARARE – Doctors have told a Harare man he may never walk again if he does not undergo urgent surgery after he was shot in the buttocks by soldiers in Harare on August 1 last year.
Loveday Munesi has been referred for surgery in India, but attempts to get the military and Defence Minister Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri to authorise the medical flight have failed.
Now Munesi has approached the High Court demanding $492,500 in damages from Muchinguri-Kashiri and Zimbabwe Defence Forces commander General Philip Valerio Sibanda.
Munesi says in court papers that he was wrongfully shot while running for his life after soldiers indiscriminately opened fire on civilians after opposition supporters marched through central Harare demanding the immediate release of election results.
Munesi was shot moments after he closed his office which is in the city centre.
“The plaintiff started walking along Nelson Mandela Street to meet a private taxi to drive him home when a truck full of soldiers arrived with firearms and started firing shots indiscriminately towards innocent pedestrians on the street. The plaintiff tried to run for safety but was suddenly shot on the right buttock,” his lawyers say in a court filing.
Munesi was rushed to Parirenyatwa hospital where doctors who attended to him said it was too risky to remove the bullet.
“Specialist advised that the bullet could not be removed because it was too risky and would result in paralysis,” reads his summons.
Now Munesi suffers chronic back pains due to the bullet.
Specialists also said Munesi requires physiotherapy.
Munesi is demanding $40,500 for future medical expenses, $102,000 for current medical expenses, $50,000 for damages for loss of income and $200,000 being general damages for nervous shock, pain and suffering.
He also wants $100,000 for permanent disfigurement, disability and loss of the amenities of life.
Source: Zim Live