Doomed jihadists retreat within shrinking Syria bastion

Doomed jihadists retreat within shrinking Syria bastion 1

Holdout jihadists scurried along the reedy banks of the Euphrates in an increasingly desperate defence Tuesday of the last scrap of their “caliphate” in eastern Syria. Die-hard Islamic State group fighters are confined to a tiny area on the banks of the Euphrates River in Syria (AFP / GIUSEPPE CACACE) Advancing Kurdish-led forces forced diehard fighters from the Islamic State group out of the main encampment where they had been confined in recent days. The move brought a months-old operation to wipe out the last vestige of IS’s once-sprawling proto-state…

Read More

Tunisia attacks: Militants jailed over 2015 terror

Tunisia attacks: Militants jailed over 2015 terror 2

Seven jihadists have been sentenced to life in prison in Tunisia over attacks at a museum and a beach resort in 2015. The beach attack targeted tourists Sixty people, mostly tourists, died in the two attacks and many were wounded.Some of the many defendants received lesser sentences and 27 were acquitted. Prosecutors plan to appeal. The first attack, at the Bardo Museum in Tunis in March 2015 killed 22. Three months later, 38 tourists, most of them British, were shot dead at Port El Kantaoui, near Sousse. The so-called Islamic…

Read More

Briton survives razor-blade attack in Somali jail

Briton survives razor-blade attack in Somali jail 3

A British man being detained in a Somali jail has survived an attack by inmates armed with razor blades, a prison official has told the BBC. Mogadishu Central Prison is used to house those awaiting trial as well as those sentenced Suspected jihadists at Mogadishu Central Prison were behind the attack on Anthony Thomas Cox, who works for a private security firm. He was arrested 10 days ago at the main airport in the capital, Mogadishu, with tear-gas canisters in his suitcase. He is to be charged with endangering the…

Read More

SA mercenary speaks out after Boko Haram bloodshed

SA mercenary speaks out after Boko Haram bloodshed 4

A South African mercenary who fought Boko Haram jihadists in Nigeria spoke out on Sunday against President Muhammadu Buhari’s handling of the Islamist insurgency, blaming “poor political decisions” for an upsurge in violence. Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau In a statement posted to Facebook on Sunday, Eeben Barlow criticised Buhari for claiming that Boko Haram is “technically defeated” and said the jihadists are “causing numerous casualties and capturing massive amounts of equipment and ammunition”. The former South African Defence Force commander said that Buhari’s government cut short his contract after his company…

Read More